Friday, August 5, 2011

I’m going, going…back, back…to Shanghai, hai.



 It is back to the Chinese grind. Nothing has changed in Shanghai except my one month absence. I was having emotional moments, dealing with reverse culture shock as I returned home. I would not say Shanghai has a faster pace than Southern California, but I would say that the average Chinese or those residing in Shanghai are much more aggressive. At times, the level of aggressiveness felt like barbarism. Then, I came home and there was an order that my life had lacked for ten months. No one is cutting in line, no one is pushing their way onto an elevator as others are exiting, taxis, scooters, and buses are not about to collide with pedestrians, and life overall is not as chaotic.

All of these cultural contrasts makes me wonder if China is truly barbaric and uneducated, or that we, Americans, have a system of civility that only hides our superficial, bigoted, and, many times, xenophobic ways. It is well known by Westerners and Chinese alike that presentation is everything in China. Presentation and quality are two independent factors and they seem to be mutually exclusive in China. While I can say and feel that Chinese are uncivil and lack manners, I must wonder if we Americans are not kidding ourselves. We are a multicultural and multiethnic society that is filled with a past and present history of racism and discrimination. Beyond that, much of our racism is systemic and many would like to believe that we have learned and evolved to not behave in such ways. However, this is what believed in the minds of many and practiced by the few. I think Americans are also concerned with image rather than fixing the core or root of where such problems stem (Ex. The debate of the debt ceiling, cutting budgets, and lowering the deficit).

So I wonder, are we any better? We might have a polite society on the surface, but are we truly polite people? I am beginning to look at Chinese as a diamond in the rough. It is a valuable gem that has yet to be polished and we can see this rough exterior by how people behave in public, but one-on-one these people are quite warm and truly are interested in learning from foreigners and care for their well-being (to an extent).

In other news

I am beginning to get settled in my new apartment and my new job. It is weird because I feel a little lonely being in Shanghai. Not many people are currently present in Shanghai, so it is just me! I went to an art showing last week with a couple of my old coworkers from Jin Cai. Nadine, the art teacher from Jin Cai, presented three of her works in the art showing. That was an interesting experience. I felt like I was the hybrid child of the avant-garde and poor college graduate. I will just continue to believe I am amongst the upper echelons of the vanguard making a way for the young intelligentsia.

Anyhow, back on topic, I am getting reacclimated to my Shanghainese expat life. I have made a few goals for this year and they are as follows:

1.       Continue to learn Chinese and be able to have basic conversations in everyday topics.
2.       Chinese and international networking. Develop and nurture these connections.
3.       Save at least $10,000.   
4.       Get back into shape.

Most of these goals are self-explanatory, but the “get back into shape” goal is not. Working out can feel like a chore from time to time, but I have learnt that it is a great way to deal with the emotions of being in a foreign country that is 180 degree different than everything I know.

I will post more about my work and my living condition soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. You should maybe post on some other websites as a contribution or something. And also, I love the pic of yourself you chose for the blog, you should consider making it your facebook profile pic... I would definitely "LIKE" it.

    ReplyDelete