Tuesday, October 19, 2010

2010 Shanghai Expo aka World's Fair

     This was a great experience, but overall I was not impressed. The World's Fair has always been about displaying a countries technology and ability in innovation. The architecture was amazing, but the interior left a lot to be desired. Most of the pavilions were very cheap ploys for tourism. Without wanting to criticize China too much I must say that the expo was very "China." If it displayed anything about what China can provide the world currently it would be its ability to deliver a facade. It is all a mask. These buildings were the mask and when you went inside you realize it was all rather sub-par. I realize that every country is responsible for their own pavilion, but so much more could have been done.
     The China pavilion was nice, but I doubt it had anything inside that would be worth waiting 5+ hours. The Nepal pavilion was very beautiful, but had no technology. It is one of my top 2. Israel was amazing. If you needed to pick a pavilion that optimizes the spirit of the Expo and exhibiting one's contributions to the world then Israel hit it on the head and then some. Israel's building was simple and you walk into an auditorium and they show a movie that compares Israel to China (size and population) then they talk about what has come out of Israel. Quite extraordinary. It may have been a big FU to China and the world, but it was by far the best expo pavilion. I still need to see Saudi Arabia. They have the second largest pavilion.
    Overall, I do not think China was able to deliver. It may be a world power, but only by mere size. A lot is left to the imagination, so I'm here to tell you don't start taking off your panties just yet! They may arrive to be a power soon, but that is not today, tomorrow, or even next year. The masses are controlled by the [very] few.  If you want a great copy of your favorite purse then China is the place to come. They are master pirates and nothing more. I think the government realizes this and are slowly making an attempt to change a lot. Many companies and countries in the West are already looking to move production to other countries. Too much is being lost because of intellectual property infringements.
     On a lighter, enjoy the pictures!














No comments:

Post a Comment