Friday, October 1, 2010

ESL classes


So…today, my ESL students told me that the songs that I play for them are too hard. I then asked them what types of songs would they like. Drum roll please….” we like head, shoulders, knees, and toes!” I taught them this little song in order to pass time because I had nothing else to teach them. I did not think they would love this song so much. They asked me if we could learn the hokie pokie next.
I am at a loss for words. I did not want to insult their intelligences by doing elementary songs, but if this is what they want then this is what I will give them. I think I will look up some Barney songs. My students are infatuated with saying “I love you.” I think I will humor them and give them a song that says the same thing they have been telling me for the last two weeks. I wonder what other songs I can think of that they will like. The problem is there are only so many songs that have enough words in them to teach students new words. I think some of my kids are going to have to bite the bullet and learn stuff even if it is boring.
It is very interesting being a teacher because there are a lot of factors that I have never noticed. Sometimes there are topics that are boring and you have to trudge ahead. I think this is big with my students. They want everything to be fun and have song and dance. I now feel bad for my teachers. It is hard to teach when you have a class that does not interact and give you verbal feedback. I feel like I am just now getting into my grove.
I have constantly reinvented my idea of how a class should be run. I am trying to find that “sweet spot” for all of my classes. Some of my students require less stimulation led by me and other classes require that I constantly give them something new. Unfortunately, my ESL class is uninterested because they do not understand what is going on.  They asked me to talk with my hands more and use more simple words. This is a very big challenge for me because I already thought I was using “simple” words. I will continue to work on this.
I definitely have more respect for teachers. Some subjects are easier than others to teach, but it requires a lot of work and passion to really motivate students. For me, it seems that teaching and learning should be: sit down, listen, and regurgitate.

3 comments:

  1. Son perhaps you need to take the approach used on Glee....teach them songs of the pop artists they like. I think the Chinees love the Beatles so how about them? Maybe some Gaga, Michael Jackson, etc. Lyrics for these songs can be found on the web. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is one that likes the Beatles and they definitely like Lady Gaga, but I can only play certain stuff. No drugs, sex, violence, or vulgarity. That cuts out a lot of pop music they like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Josh, I totally understand how you feel!
    My students asked for Christmas Carols during a summer course...
    They LOVED Jingle Bells and they generally love old cheesy pop songs with an easy melody.
    I remember them liking songs from The Carpenters or "Can't Fight the Moonlight" by Leann Rimes...what can I say? That's what they really like to go for and they asked to sing it everyday.
    My suggestion to you is, don't try to hard, I also wanted them to really learn but you just risk on having them bored. They only want to have fun and even if they only learn few things they'll be extremely happy and very willing to come to class. It worked perfectly with my class.

    Cosimo

    ReplyDelete