Sunday, September 25, 2011

Religion in China

This was originally written August 16, 2011.

The other night I had a discussion about religion. I found it interesting because the guys I was speaking with said many people in China are inclined to do 'bad things' or pursue immoral behavior because there is no religion.  I asked them for examples and they mentioned a case from 2008 when powder baby formula for babies caused babies to fall ill in China. Some babies died as a result. They feel that if there was a sense of morality in China, then situations like this would not occur. This is just one case and I am sure there are many more.

I mentioned to them that many countries have killed and persecuted in the name of religion. I also mentioned the idea of reinstilling Buddhist and Confucian values into Chinese society since much of this was wiped clean from the Chinese psyche after 1949.

I found this little topic interesting and I will have to think about it more. For my religious readers, namely Christians, this does not mean that you have found one more place for you to proselytize and irritate the masses one door knock at a time in the name of your perceived truth through Jesus H. Christ.

More to come on this topic. One of the guys gave me his number and told me to call him if I ever needed anything. One more contact in the Rolodex.

No comments:

Post a Comment